These particular rodents are hard to get rid of. Do you transport them somewhere else and hope they don’t come back? If you’re okay with killing them, how do you do it without being messy or causing a stink? One of the easiest ways to get rid of squirrels is to eliminate their food sources. Squirrels are one of the most difficult animals to get rid of once they’ve decided to make your property their home. But there are a few other tips you can use to try to evict them.
Nine Ways to Get Rid Of Squirrels
Squirrels are undoubtedly cute but they are also quite mischievous! In some cases, they don’t cause any problems and you may hardly notice them. However, if you’re like me then this isn’t the case at all. Squirrels are notorious food hoarders that will do anything to get into your bird feeder. Your garbage can is an easy target for them too, and they’ve even been known to make nests in attics!
You need to find a way of getting rid of squirrels. But with so many methods out there, just how are you supposed to know which ones work? That’s why I’ve put together this article – with some tips that do help!
So, here are 9 tips for how to get rid of squirrels that work:
- Use a repellent
- Introduce a predator
- Remove food sources
- Try a water gun or motion sensor sprinkler
- Install a scarecrow
- Use a sonic repellent
- Try a live trap
- Offer a food source away from your home
- Hire a professional
These tips aren’t necessarily in order so just give one a try that fits you and see if it works! If not, work your way down the list and I’m sure you will find a solution in no time. If you’d like to know more about how each of these ideas will work then keep reading.
1. Use A Repellent
One of the easiest ways to get rid of squirrels is to use repellent. There are many different types on the market, but most of them work in the same way – they contain an unpleasant smell or taste that deters the squirrels. Some repellents can even be homemade and won’t harm the squirrels.
Here are a few popular repellents you can try:
- Capsaicin is a commercial product sold under various names such as “Squirrel Away”
- Cayenne pepper – sprinkle cayenne pepper where you’ve seen squirrels, they definitely won’t like it!
- Ammonia-soaked rags – just soak some rags in ammonia, then hang them up around your home. As the ammonia evaporates into the air, it will spread a terrible smell that squirrels dislike.
- Mothballs – mothballs release a gas that also deters squirrels.
- You can also just purchase repellents from most hardware stores or online.
To use a repellent, you need to spray it around your property where the squirrels are getting in. They shouldn’t be too hard to find if they’re raiding your bird feeder! You can also try placing some along your roof because this is another spot that’s often targeted by them.
But make sure you don’t place it near where you or your pets hang out. Also, one thing to note is that squirrels will get used to the smell or taste of the repellent after a while, so you may need to switch it up now and then.
2. Introduce A Predator
If you live in the country, there may be natural predators around that will chase away your pesky squirrels! If this isn’t the case, you may consider getting a cat. A cat is an easy way to get rid of squirrels and they’re great companions too.
If you’re not a fan of cats or already have one, you can try getting a dog. A big dog will be able to scare off any squirrels that come near your property. Just make sure your yard is fenced so your dog doesn’t get carried away chasing them! I realize that it is a commitment to get a pet so if this tip isn’t for you, don’t worry- we have a lot more to cover!
3. Remove Food Sources
You can also try removing food sources that are attracting the squirrels in the first place. This might not be as easy as it sounds, but there are some things that you can do.
- One of the main ways that squirrels get food is by raiding bird feeders. If you can’t get rid of your bird feeder, then try to make it as difficult as possible for the squirrels to get to it. One way to do this is to use a feeder that’s covered or has a baffle – this is a cone-shaped device that sits on top of the feeder and makes it difficult for the squirrels to climb up.
- Another way to stop the squirrels from getting food is to fence off your garden. This will keep them out of your plants and flowers, as well as your vegetable patch! If you have a fruit garden then it’s also a good idea to put up bird netting, which will stop the squirrels from getting inside.
- Squirrels may also like your garbage can. So it’s best to get yourself a metal or heavy-duty plastic can that has a tight-fitting lid. This will stop the squirrels from getting in, and will also keep out other animals like rats and raccoons.
4. Try A Water Gun Or Motion Sensored Sprinkler
This tip may seem a little odder than the others but it has worked for me in the past! Get yourself a water gun or motion-sensing sprinkler and spray the squirrels when they come near your house.
They may not like getting wet so this might be a good way to get rid of them. Also, the motion sensor sprinkler will often scare them when it’s triggered.
Keep in mind that squirrels are smart, so if you do try this tip make sure you move the sprinkler around so they don’t learn how to avoid it. And if possible, stay hidden when using the water gun.
5. Install A Scarecrow
A scarecrow is another way of keeping the squirrels away from your property. It’s a large figure that’s made to look like a human, and it’s designed to make the squirrels think that there’s a person in your garden. This scares them because they don’t know what you’re going to do, and they’ll stay away for fear of being caught!
There are several ways you can make a scarecrow:
- you can use a plastic model
- create your own out of old clothes
- buy one already made
- look online for some scarecrow ideas to get started
One downside of using a scarecrow is that it needs to be moved around regularly – otherwise, the squirrels will get used to it and not be scared anymore. But if you use this method make sure that you always move it to a different part of your garden, so the squirrels don’t know where it’s going to be next.
6. Use A Sonic Repellent
There are several deterrents that you can use to keep the squirrels away from your property – these are things that will make them scared to come near.
One common deterrent is to use a sonic deterrent. This is a device that emits a high-pitched sound that’s designed to scare the squirrels away. The sound is very annoying and uncomfortable for them, and they won’t want to be around it.
7. Try Using A Live Trap
If you’re having trouble getting close to the squirrels, or if they’re just too fast for you, then you might want to try using a live trap. This is a cage-like device that’s designed to catch the squirrels without harming them.
Once you’ve caught the squirrel in the trap, you’ll need to take it several meters away from your property and release it. This will stop it from coming back – just remember that if you’re in a city then you might need to take it even further!
One thing to be aware of with live traps is that they do sometimes fail. So if you use this method, it’s important to be patient and not give up straight away.
8. Offer A Food Source Away From Your Home
This tip works best in a city or town where the squirrels have a lot of options for food. It’s a common tip in any situation, though: you should offer the squirrels a food source away from your home to distract them. This will take their focus off coming inside and raiding your garden, so they’ll go looking elsewhere instead.
9. Hire A Professional
Of course, the last resort if none of these tips have helped, is to hire a professional. This is an option for those people who are getting serious about getting rid of the squirrels, and it will give you the most success.
A professional is likely to have a lot more experience than you, and they’ll know exactly what they’re doing. They’ll also provide a guarantee that their work will solve your problem – giving you peace of mind.
What Is The Most Humane Way To Get Rid Of Squirrels?
If you’re looking for the most humane way to get rid of squirrels, then there are a few things to remember:
- Make sure the squirrels are relocated a long way from your property, so they won’t be able to come back.
- Avoid using traps or poisons, as these can often be very harmful to the squirrels.
- Make sure you’re not trapping any baby squirrels – only adult squirrels should be relocated.
- If you do relocate, make sure it’s a place where the squirrels will be safe and have access to food and water.
When Is It Good To Have Squirrels Around?
While some people may see squirrels as pests, others find them to be quite charming! Some appreciate the fact that squirrels are very active and playful animals. They’re fun to watch, and they can also be helpful in gardens by eating pests.
If you’re not bothered by them getting into your garden, then you can just enjoy their company from a distance. However, if they’re causing damage or becoming a nuisance, then it’s time to take some action and get rid of them.
Getting rid of squirrels can be a difficult task, but it’s not impossible. By using one or more of the methods listed above, you’ll stand a good chance of getting rid of these pests for good. Just remember to be patient, good luck!